Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Urbanspace Vanderbilt Review

Finally paid a visit to Urbanspace's indoor spot. The "food hall" term is a current food trend and, frankly, I roll my eyes because most self-proclaimed food halls are just food courts. I like food courts, so just call it what it really is.

So, I was very pleased to step inside Urbanspace Vanderbilt and actually feel like I was in a food hall. I didn't exactly have in mind what a food hall should look like, but I knew this is how a food hall should feel once I walked around this place.

(In contrast, on the way to Urbanspace Vanderbilt, I saw the new Great Northern Food Hall by chef Claus Meyer in Grand Central and was disappointed in its appearance. It looked like food kiosks or counters that I can find at airports and didn't conjure the feel of a food hall to me.)

The layout and design at Urbanspace Vanderbilt really make the vibe. There's open space between many vendors as opposed to partitions or walls separating each vendor at a typical food court. Even with the industrial decor, the string lights help bring warmth to the space. I just like how it all comes together. Sorry that I don't have any pictures of the space to share...my phone battery was dying.

There are plenty of great vendors to choose from like Roberta's, Sigmund's Pretzels, and OddFellows Ice Cream. And some food concepts will rotate giving more reason to return. On this first visit, I went with a small Famous Original pizza from Roberta's. Great thin, crispy crust but be prepared to wait 10-15 minutes because they make pizzas to order.


It's a great way to try a bunch of vendors in one place and it's year-round. Only wish it was conveniently located for me.

My Rating (out of 5):  4

Urbanspace Vanderbilt
Entrances at 45th St. & Vanderbilt Ave.
230 Park Ave. (at The Helmsley Building)
New York, NY 10169
http://urbanspacenyc.com/urbanspace-vanderbilt/

No comments:

Post a Comment