Pages

Monday, June 26, 2017

Eggs in Clouds Recipe

I just heard about eggs in clouds (or egg clouds) and supposedly they have been a thing on social media recently (according to one email that I got). I don't know about that, but I like to have fun with food and just happened to have most of the ingredients in the fridge to make them. Plus, they are really easy to make in small or large quantities and could be fun for kids (who are willing to eat runny yolks).

I chose a recipe from Rachel Ray's magazine site and made half the recipe to try it out. I also substituted Parmigiano Reggiano for Pecorino Romano cheese since that's what I already had.

Since I already had the oven on to bake the eggs, I cooked some applewood-smoked bacon in the oven at 450ยบ for 15-18 minutes.  But to cut down on cooking time, the bacon can be cooked in the microwave for a few minutes.

Unfortunately, living in the city means space is precious, and I don't have a stand mixer. So, I used a hand mixer to beat the egg whites to (semi-) stiff peaks.
 

I sprinkled the cheese, bacon and chives over the egg whites, vs. dumping them in, so I didn't have to fold the egg whites too much and cause them to deflate. I only folded the ingredients into the egg whites a few times .
 

Since egg whites puff up some while baking, I would make even deeper wells next time.
Before baking
After baking for 3 minutes

Everything was looking really good and the first yolk went into the well perfectly. And then, the second yolk almost made it in perfectly until it stuck to the edge of the dish and broke. (wah wah) When I separated the eggs, I really didn't leave any egg white on the yolks which is why I think one of them stuck to the dish.

I baked the eggs for another two minutes but I wanted more color on the egg whites and left them in for another minute. (Total of 3 minutes after adding the yolks.)

Other than the small snag, this recipe was fun to make and looks fun. The whipped egg whites give them an airy, light texture. Just like clouds! And they also have lots of flavor from the cheese and bacon with just a little bite from the chives.

Definitely would make these again for brunch or when I could use some whimsy.

My Rating (out of 5): 4

I usually don't have cooked bacon sitting around, so I accounted for making bacon with an adapted recipe based on Rachel's.

Eggs in Clouds Recipe
Adapted from Rachel Ray Every Day

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 22 to 25 mins
Total time: 27 to 30 mins
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

3-4 strips of bacon
1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
4 large eggs
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Freshly-ground pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Place bacon on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer bacon to paper towels and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, pat with paper towels to remove any excess grease. Crumble or finely chop bacon and reserve 1/4 cup. (Snack on any leftover bacon.)

While bacon is cooking, finely chop chives.

Separate eggs, putting whites in 1 large bowl and yolks in 4 separate small bowls. Whip whites until stiff peaks form.

Lightly fold in cheese, chives and 1/4 cup of bacon. Spoon into 4 mounds on parchment-lined baking sheet and make a deep well in the center of each. Bake for 3 minutes.

Remove from oven and add 1 yolk to each well. Season with freshly-ground pepper. Bake until yolks are just set, another 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Notes:
- To up the presentation, serve on toast or with toast on the side for dipping into the yolks.
- Bacon can be cooked in the microwave according to package instructions instead of the oven.
- If chives are not available, scallions can be substituted.



No comments:

Post a Comment