Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

Golden Milk (Haldi Doodh) Recipe

I bought a few 3 oz. packages of spices, like turmeric, over in Curry Hill to try a (surprise) curry recipe. I don't use these spices often, so I have a lot left over. When I came across an email today with different ways to use turmeric, I was inspired to try a number of recipes.

I was introduced to golden milk (or haldi doodh), which is a warm turmeric milk drink. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and immune-boosting properties, among other benefits. So this drink is an easy way to take advantage of its health benefits. I also read that taking black pepper with turmeric increases absorption of turmeric in our bodies by 2000%.

I looked online for more information on how it's made and used this recipe to make my first cup. I really liked how it tasted with the warming spiciness of the turmeric and pepper. Turmeric is part of the ginger family and has a similar spiciness as ginger. Golden milk makes for a nice drink to have before bed. Note, I was cautious with my first cup and used a small amount of pepper. (Update: I made this again with a 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper that I saw in another recipe and thought it was too much so I'd stick with 1/4 teaspoon.)

I will definitely try different variations with other types of milk (coconut, almond), ginger, fresh turmeric vs. ground, and more pepper. But this is the recipe I used for my first try.

Golden Milk Recipe

Time: 2-3 minutes
Yield: 1 cup (8 oz.)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk (any fat content of your choice)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Directions
Stir all ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over. Pour into a mug and enjoy!

Optional: Some of the ground spices settle to the bottom of the mug, which I didn't mind. If you prefer, you can strain the mixture through a very fine sieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment