Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Sour Cream & Bacon Deviled Eggs

I haven't made deviled eggs in what feels like forever, and I decided to make some to bring to a party. Most recipes have traditional ingredients like mayo, mustard, and/or vinegar, but Trisha Yearwood's recipe with sour cream, bacon and chive caught my eye. 'Cuz everything's better with bacon.

So, I didn't plan ahead on making this and had to buy eggs the day I made them. I've heard suggestions that using older eggs are better for peeling hard boiled eggs, and this is suggested in Trisha's recipe. But, I lucked out in using this Epicurious suggestion for peeling eggs. Only two eggs ended up peeling ugly. (Swirling didn't do much for me to crack the shells, but cracking the shell and peeling under cold running water helped the filmy membrane separate more easily from the egg white.)
Peeled hard boiled eggs (you can see one of the ugly ones)

Egg white halves

Since most of the bacon is mixed into the filling, I cooked my bacon on the crispier side to help keep the bacon from getting too soggy. I like the flavor of applewood smoked bacon and used that in this recipe. Because the slices are on the thicker side, I usually finely chop the bacon because it doesn't really crumble by hand. And if you're like me and can't resist eating the bacon, make extra!
Applewood smoked bacon


I decided to use a light sour cream and it actually worked fine in this recipe and didn't lack flavor or creaminess.
Light sour cream, egg yolks, & mayo

I followed the recipe but added 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon of rice vinegar to add some acid and tanginess. (Ok, and I only used 5 slices of bacon because I ate one.)

The recipe says to reserve 1 tablespoon of chives to garnish, but I thought it was a lot and a 1/2 tablespoon (or 1-1/2 teaspoons) is plenty.

I wanted to use a star tip to pipe the filling, but my star tip was not large enough for the bacon to pass through. So I removed the tip from the coupler and piped round swirls.

I thought they turned out pretty good and are an easy variation on deviled eggs. Definitely would make this again! A friend even asked for the recipe so she could make it for an event she was having.

My Rating (out of 5): 4.5

Note on egg tray: I usually don't like to buy serving ware or kitchen tools that have limited use and take up storage space. Transporting deviled eggs can be tricky but possible with disposable DIY trays using egg cartons or assembling at the party host's place. But I found a inexpensive, reusable tray for $3.99. And it comes with a lid! So I splurged and went for it. It holds 24 deviled eggs, but eggs in the center can tumble during transport. And if it cracks or breaks, I won't be too upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment