Pages

Friday, April 21, 2017

Dough Doughnuts Review

I like a good doughnut, but I haven't made a point to visit all the doughnut shops that have popped up in the city over the years (i.e. Dough, Moe's, Dun-well, etc.). In my opinion, the gourmet/artisan doughnut trend started with Doughnut Plant, which is where I tend to go to when I want some fancy doughnuts. But, Dough is one shop that I see others post positively about, so I finally got around to trying it when I was in the Flatiron District. 

Dough's Flatiron location had a good selection of 10 or more flavors; most of them are yeast-style doughnuts with a couple of cake-style options. And they offer doughnut holes and their doughnut-babka hybrid, a doughka. Their doughka is currently only available at this Flatiron store. 

The doughnuts are huge, catering to American oversized culture. I will say that given the size, the price is decent at $3 for most doughnuts and $3.50 for filled doughnuts (compared to other similar doughnut specialty shops).

Hibiscus (l) and Boston cream (r) Dough doughnuts

Being my first time at Dough, I asked the employee what their signature flavors were. She apparently didn't understand what I said and made it very clear in her twisted up face and unfriendly response of "What?" like I have the problem. Sadly, you are probably familiar with the type of service/attitude that I'm referring to. Hate to see how she'd treat someone with a disability or impairment just because she may not understand them. I didn't really care about the answer after that.

I ended up getting hibiscus and Boston cream flavors and tried the Boston cream first. I was kind of excited about taking my first bite of a Dough Doughnut given the extremely positive endorsements!  Upon my first bite, "what is this?" came to mind. It is the densest, breadiest doughnut I have ever had, and not in a good way. It felt like I was eating bread instead of a doughnut. It's just not the texture that I want in a doughnut. I want some airiness in a yeast doughnut and this just didn't have any. The fact that the dough is so dense, I don't get why they are so huge. The chocolate glaze had a bitter dark chocolate taste, so I assume some kind of high quality chocolate is used. The cream was a nice thick consistency, but lacked in flavor that I expect from a Boston cream. 
Boston cream

The glaze on the hibiscus doughnut is very pretty and tasted really good. I also liked the dried hibiscus flower garnish. I could taste the nutmeg in the dough more in this one. But the doughnut was also the same dense, bready texture. 

And the grease. SOOOO much grease soaked into the paper bag from only 2 doughnuts. Kinda gross. Never had this issue with Doughnut Plant. 

According to Dough's website, they use a proprietary brioche-like dough. I like brioche, but I don't want it in my doughnut. Hate to say, but I'm perplexed by the numerous raving reviews. This place is definitely not for me. 

My Rating (out of 5):  1.5

Dough
14 W. 19th St.
New York, NY 10011
www.doughdoughnuts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment