Pages

Friday, February 17, 2017

Brussels Sprouts Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette

After eating a lot of bread carbs over the last week, I was in desperate need of some healthy eats. I found this raw Brussels sprouts salad by The Real Food Dietitians and was excited by the ingredients.

Full disclosure: I made some substitutions to use what I had at home but I don't think they drastically changed the flavors or result of the salad.

This recipe makes a hella ton of salad and is good for a large group of people or a party. I made the full recipe and had a lot leftover. And Brussels sprouts are a hearty vegetable with plenty of chew compared to arugula or spinach. If you want to make a smaller amount for 4 people or less, I suggest cutting the ingredient amounts by half.

I highly recommend buying a bag of shredded Brussels sprouts. I think it's really worth it in this case. (Thank you, Trader Joe's!) Since Brussels sprouts are small, shredding them yourself can be time consuming and I don't love that my food processor leaves small chunks behind with the shredder attachment.

I had turkey bacon in the fridge and used that instead. I cut up the turkey bacon into small strips so they got evenly crispy in the oven. Since the bacon will start to get soft once the salad and dressing are mixed, I cooked the bacon until it was very crispy.

For the dried cherries, I also recommend using tart cherries if you can get them. I think they add a nice balance to the bacon and Brussels sprouts. Trader Joe's had three dried cherry options to choose from including tart Montmorency cherries.

I love pecans and already had some. I also think they go great with dried fruit. So, I used rough-chopped pecan halves instead of almonds.
Clockwise: red onions, turkey bacon, pecans, dried tart cherries
(shredded Brussels sprouts underneath)

The recipe calls for 1 cup of sliced red onions and I thought it was a little to much. While I like red onions, I would cut back to 1/2 to 3/4 cup the next time I make this. And to take out some of the bite, soak the sliced onion in cold water while the bacon cooks. Then, drain and pat dry with paper towels when ready to add to the salad.

For the citrus vinaigrette, I used an average sized naval orange and am guessing that it had a little more juice than a small orange that the recipe calls for. I used a Meyer lemon instead of the regular lemon variety since they are in season. I also added about a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest because why waste it?
Vinaigrette ingredients

The vinaigrette recipe calls for 3/4 cup of olive oil, but I only used 1/2 cup. I could taste the extra virgin olive oil in the dressing and didn't want it to get too oily or overpowered by an olive flavor. Last, I used Dijon mustard since I didn't have any yellow mustard. I ended up with exactly 1 cup of vinaigrette after my modifications. I thought the dressing was good, but I think I prefer an all-lemon dressing for more tang and brightness to the salad. And I'd leave out the shallots, since the salad already has a lot of red onion, and use garlic instead.

I skipped the optional goat cheese to be healthier, but I may include it another time.

I thought there's a good ratio of bacon, nuts, and cherries in each bite. There's very little chopping involved in this salad, especially if you get pre-shredded Brussels sprouts. The vinaigrette is the most complicated part of the recipe! I'll definitely make this again.

My Rating (out of 5): 4

11.6.2017 Update: Decided to add my recipe version below which makes a smaller amount.

Brussels Sprouts Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette Recipe

Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Yield: 4 - 6 servings

Ingredients
Salad Ingredients:
  • 4 slices of turkey bacon
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 
  • 10 oz. package of shredded or shaved Brussels sprouts
  • 1/3 cup dried tart cherries, unsweetened (such as Montmorency cherries)
  • 1/3 cup pecan halves, toasted and rough chopped
Vinaigrette Ingredients:
  • 1/2 small orange, juiced
  • 1/2 tsp. orange zest
  • 1/2 Meyer lemon, juiced (regular lemon can be substituted)
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1 small garlic clove, grated
  • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
  • Kosher salt and black pepper 

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Chop the uncooked turkey bacon in to small splices. Spread pieces in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread pecan halves on a separate small baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the oven on a rack placed in the middle. Toast the pecans for 3-5 minutes, making sure to watch that they don't burn. Cook the bacon for 12 minutes, until very crispy.

When the pecans are toasted, let cool. Then, roughly chop the pecans and set aside.

While the bacon is cooking, slice the red onion and soak in a bowl with cold water. This helps remove some of the bite.

While the bacon is cooking, also make the vinaigrette. Whisk all of the vinaigrette ingredients, except the olive oil, together in a small bowl. Drizzle the olive oil in a slow stream while constantly whisking to emulsify the vinaigrette. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Set aside.

Once the bacon is cooked, set bacon on paper towels to drain excess grease. Also drain the red onions and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl with turkey bacon, red onion, cherries, and pecans.

Add 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette immediately before serving and toss to coat well. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper as needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment