Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Apple Pie Zoats Recipe


I didn't peel the zucchini this time and I could see bits of skin in the dish, which was okay with me. But I think leaving the skin on kept some of the shredded bits from softening as much as skinless shreds did. It still cooked down, but I think I like the texture better when it's peeled. I also left the skin on the apple and didn't notice it in the dish. I didn't use egg whites but added chia seeds for a little extra protein.

Apple Pie Zoats Recipe

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10-15 mins
Total time: 15-20 mins
Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 zucchini, peeled and grated 
  • 1/2 gala apple (or any sweet red apple), grated
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 Tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup milk (or plant-based milk)
  • Sugar or sugar substitute (I used Splenda)
  • 1/2 gala apple, diced 
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Directions
Add oats, grated zucchini, grated apple, water, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and Chia seeds to a medium saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until oats and zucchini are cooked through. Remove from heat and let sit for a couple of minutes.

Stir in milk to thin the zoats to your desired consistency. Adjust sweetness to your taste with sugar or sugar substitute.  Serve immediately in bowls and top with diced apples and sliced almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment